Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Final Countdown (plus some sentimental stuff)

So, with 6 days left on this continent, I felt like it was time to update.  Before this week there was little to report; I drilled some metal, lost some softball games, and won some frisbee.  I've often wondered how many pounds of steel I turned into helpless little chips over the past month.  The metal got its revenge though; a substantial percentage of those shavings turned up in my hair, my shoes, and my fingers (the latter is my least favorite).

But enough about life in Florence.  This blog isn't called "I'm already here, Alabama."  You probably want to know about France.  My last few weeks have been consumed with the roller-coaster ride that is finding housing.  When I first talked to my contact, she gave me three options for housing: two high schools and a very French-sounding option called "Foyer de Jeunes Travailleurs," aka "Young-Workers' Complex."  Well, just like my typical softball game, I went 0-3; none of the three had a room for this poor American assistant.  Brigitte (my contact) has been trying incessantly to find me a place, and finally she found a family that was willing to loan me a room in exchange for tutoring the kids in English.  It's perfect--it's inexpensive, I don't have to worry about going to the laundromat, and I get to hang out with real French people from the get-go-- but there's a catch.

File:Feral cat.jpg
(Thanks to Yanjing Lu for this stock photo)

Yup, a cat, the one thing I'm really allergic to.  Achoo.  So the first few weeks are going to be an exercise in antihistamine overdosing.  But other than that I'm really excited about my living situation, even if it is just temporary.  I may be apartment hunting soon, but we'll see.  It depends on how well I can hold my Benadryl.

I've also been running in circles doing all the little things one does before moving to Europe for a year.  I've made eye appointments, closed bank accounts, and sent my entire collection of dress shirts to the cleaners to be pressed into stackable, packable little squares.  I'm buying most things when I get to France, but some I have to bring: all my diabetes supplies, a few books, and eight sticks of my favorite deodorant (apparently European deodorant is formulated a little differently, and I don't want to take any chances).

I went to Nashville for the last time last weekend, and that's when everything really started to sink in.  I've been incredibly excited about moving, but it wasn't until then that I really got my head around it.  I love my family, and Florence is still a nice town, but Nashville has really been my home over the past four years.  Needless to say, it was hard to leave, even harder than at graduation.  Monday TV nights with my friend Josh are a thing of the past, frisbee with the Alumni lawn crew is done, and I'm no longer a choirite.

But that's okay.  I know it'll be a big adjustment, but it's time for the next chapter.  Especially since that next chapter is in France :)

But anyway, time to enjoy American TV while I still can.  Zooey Deschanel's new show comes on in a few minutes, and I don't want to miss it.  Next time you hear from me I'll be in France, and hopefully have some pictures from my new camera (thanks Mom and Dad)!  A bientôt!

2 comments:

  1. i was unaware you were allergic to cats. what a problem. although i hear with medication the affliction is much more bearable.

    still missing having you around, but so excited to hear about all your adventures. =) and excited to have some waffles in belgium.

    you're great.
    lovelove.
    -kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. C-Ray, I will come to visit you in France--or maybe not--wouldn't that be awesome?

    Also, when you do go to Belgium for waffles, know the difference between the American Belgian Waffle and the Belgian Belgian Waffles. I learned about this from "Throwdown with Bobby Flay."

    Also #2, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete